Saturday, January 4, 2014

Paihia, Waimate, and Taranga

Yesterday we saw the magnificent glow worms in the Kawti Caverns. The guides were just young adults and they were outstanding. Polite, FUNNY, and very knowledgeable. The hike through the cave was fine. One step at a time. The hike out was... strenuous.  It was over 100 steps down and then another 125 steps UP all through the "bush"  I made it and am VERY proud of myself. If I had known what was in store, I surely would have passed on it.  I have been in caves in my life but have never seen glow worms that light up and look like millions of stars.

We also had the good fortune to see the Waimate Mission house and church built by the Anglican church in 1831.  Both are very well preserved. Two very accomodating hostesses (both 5th generation Kiwi) who made home made scones and tea.  The scones were the BEST ever.  The recipe?  Use self rising flour and equal amounts of lemonaide and heavy cream until "wet". Bake and enjoy. They were served with home made jam and REAL whipped cream. Try it.

Mission House













The bus tour also had us stop at the MOST artist public toilets I have ever seen in my life!

These are on the walls in the bathroom



This is a window in the bathroom. The entire bathroom was a mosaic made our of recycled materials.


We have had very enjoyable entertainment on the the ship along with plenty of fine dining.



A couple of random things:

There is no SKYPE capablities on ship
The movie theaters in Auckland assign seats
We took boat tenders to shore yesterday and if I was in one of those more than 15 minutes, I would jump in and take my chances. They are like corks bobbing around.

Today we are in the port city of Taranga.  Looking forward to exploring on our own. We will have dinner on board the ship with one of my art pals, Tina and her husband. They live in Sister Bay in the summer and own a hotel.

Love always.

No comments:

Post a Comment